Search This Blog

Wednesday 18 March 2015

What's Pink, Red and Awesome All Over?

It is time to pay homage – officially - to my favourite look; the red and pink combo. Why do I love it so much? There’s something about the sheer boldness of someone who opts for this dynamic. Everyone tells you that red and pink clash. Practically from birth. When you’re lying in that cot the fashion witch of the west whispers “Don’t try red and pink. You will fail miserably. It is a curse and an impossibility that is as vile as it is famous throughout the land.” Well I am here to tell you that Hello, I am your fairy godmother, and you can do it. You have an eye for colour and a flair for pairing and I have faith in you.

I also love that it’s unapologetically feminine (though not exclusively, of course.) We’re told that red is for grown up lady vamps and pink is coy lil girly girls but guess what, you’re neither of these things and both of these things and you can do and wear whatever the hell you like. 

Pink is for teenagers? Red is for vixens? Well make like an Elle Woods Jessica Rabbit hybrid and tell everyone to jump on this gender neutral colour train to Killing It, first stop Who The Fuck Cares If This Clashes.



Here’s some inspiration for us. Let's talk through some strong options.


First up, the blazer.




MIA and Tay Schilling know what's up. Either way around?? Works. You see, this look is far more malleable than you might think.

Secondly, the tux.


Rihanna brought it like it had never been brought before. This is my favourite ever ever red/pink look because it involved a tuxedo stripe (winner) and a clear heeled oxford shoe (winner winner chicken dinner) Oh Rihanna, you always spoil us so much.

I want this £350 Acne jacket more than anything. Honestly, I'd take it over world peace and being on Amy Poehler's speed dial any day. (I wouldn't. But I do love it.)


So slick. So smooth. So colourful.

This Whistles number is great also. But I can't find it anywhere :(



So who else has done a good job of working st valentines?

Sarah Jessica Parker, that's who.

           

And Joely Richardson...



and The Patron Saint of Babedom, Rashida Jones




But all looks have a queen. Bjork is queen of innovation, Diane Keaton is queen of suits, Solange is queen of colour, Gwen Stefani is queen of sportswear, Lupita Nyong’o is queen of red carpet and Avril Lavigne is queen of pop punk (I mean, knock it all you want, but it’s true.) 

And Emma Stone is queen of red and pink. The older she gets, the more she is transcending into a master.

In the classic metaphor structure she starts out as a caterpillar.

1...


2...


(Okay I admit this is actually pale pink and hot pink but if The Dress debacle has taught us anything it's that...*trails off because I can't be bothered*)

3!!!


The butterfly has emerged from the cocoon. 
Emma Stone is officially rocking red and pink harder than anyone. Pale and ginger wins.


Let's give her a run for her money shall we?





PS. I have tried and failed to find a celebrity man wearing pink and red. I was absolutely SURE I would find Jared Leto in this look. Leto, I’m 100% you’ve done it but alas I cannot find it. I apologise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive