Search This Blog

Wednesday 10 September 2014

Introduction



Hi everyone! As part of my ongoing comedy/writing related portfolio I’m going to share one aspect of it in a blog (also note my fresh attempt at the struggle that is not cringing when I type/say the word blog). The theme behind it combines some of my great loves: pop culture, style, television, film, comedy and feminism.  Most entries will be a kind of play by play commentary on the notable style moments in the work of some of my biggest on-screen influences. There'll be plenty of stuff about my personal big hitters like Winona Ryder, Brittany Murphy, Drew Barrymore, Michelle Pfeiffer and Helena Bonham Carter, but I sincerely hope there will be something for everyone.

I don’t pretend to know anything about fashion. I don’t know many designers names and I don’t follow the runway. I don’t have a fashion degree and I’m terrible at sewing. There are people who do all of these things and they’re fascinating and I regularly marvel at them. But if there’s one thing I do know, it’s pop culture. And I’m beginning to truly recognise how TV and film is constantly influencing the way I dress. Style in film tells us all sorts of things and can be a vital tool in character development. All of our brains work differently when reacting to screen aesthetics but personally, I think as a viewer I notice the writing first and the style second. When it comes to creating narratives, personality and look are things that inform and compliment each other, and I'm very conscious of them as active parallels. It’s no secret that pop culture icons influence style, just look at Diane Keaton’s suits, Jennifer Aniston’s hair and Audrey Hepburn’s kitten heels. It’s all one tiny part of a huge cycle with different spokes. There may be a spark, a gamechanger, an appropriator, a follower, a mass, a late bloomer, a loyalty, an accident... there may be a combination of all if these things.

And this is my examination of these things.


First up is the incomparable Natasha Lyonne, of Orange Is The New Black, Slums Of Beverly Hills, But I’m A Cheerleader and of course American Pie. I hope you enjoy. And share. And check back weekly. Basically I hope it finds a place in your hearts and bookmarks. And that I won’t get too lazy too soon.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive